How To Use a Fire Extinguisher
The fire extinguisher is also known as a flame extinguisher, and it is a small device, which serves, as a protection against small fires. Fires that have not reached the ceiling of the room or simply said, not considered to be life-threatening. It is incredibly important to know how to use a fire extinguisher because it very well may safe your life.
Every building should be equipped with fire extinguisher and also every car. The typical extinguisher has a simple construction – a cylinder that is not heavy and is easy to be held, and inside this cylinder there is an agent, which is released when you have to put out a small fire.
Learning How to Use a Fire Extinguisher
Most people, when they see a fire, get frightened and would not know what to do. Knowing how to use a fire extinguisher is a great advantage when you had the emergency to use one. Here are some useful tips about using a fire extinguisher:
- First of all, think about your own safety. If it is not really a small fire, call the fire department for help before you start dealing with the problem on your own. You may be surprised how quickly the fire spreads and it could trap you in no time. The number for an emergency situation is different, depending on which country you are staying – for United Kingdom it is 999, for North America 911, and for the European Union it is 112.
- Secondly, you should think of your possible exits in case you need them. If there is a danger of a toxic emission during the fire, go out of the building immediately.
- Third, you have to check the type of the fire extinguisher. In the USA there are five different types of fire extinguishers depending on the agent they use. Class A, B and C are the most widely used types of extinguishers. Class A is suitable for paper, plastics, cloth and wood. Class B is good for oil-based fires and gasoline, and class C is suitable for domestic fires caused by electric appliances. However, most times, the fire extinguisher combines all the fire classes.
- Next, let’s see how to use the fire extinguisher: There is a safety pin placed in the handle. Sometimes it is colored in red. In order to use the fire extinguisher you have to pull out the safety pin from its original place.
- Finally, when you have to put out the fire it is very important to aim at the base of the fire. You have to find the source and aim the agent directly into the source. Do not waste time and energy to aim at the wrong place. After that, squeeze the handle from about 15 cm distance from the fire and release the agent. If using the extinguisher does not help, then leave the place immediately. The fire department will come in any minute. Do not forget to replace the extinguisher with a new one. If you leave it empty, you will make the false impression of safety, for the next would be user. When you purchase a new device, a new fire extinguisher, do not forget to read the instructions on how to use it.
Aiming directly at the base of the fire is considered to be extremely important because the acid, stored in the extinguisher, has power for only 10 seconds. If you have used the same extinguisher once already, you’d never know how much acid has been left inside. After you succeed in putting out the fire, do not leave the place without observation for the next few minutes. After the fire fighters arrive, make sure that everything is under control and wait for the fire fighters to check the place once again.
Incoming search terms:
- how to use fire extinguisher graph
- how to use the fire extinguisher